Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Random Ramblings

1. My name is Heather ..... and I'm addicted to cinnamon and sugar. I'm addicted to anything that tastes or merely smells like the stuff. My college roommates can attest to me eating an entire can of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls by myself ... for dinner (usually when I'd had a bad day, etc.) You know, the oooey gooey ones you bake yourself. (I love those exploding cardboard tubes too, by the way. The sound of that opening was like the sound of a popping champagne cork or fireworks or starting pistol... saying, lets get this party started!)


2. Nat has been a whiny cat lately, and she's started to back-talk. I think she thinks that she is being funny, but we're really not amused. So, John and I decided that the hammer is comin' down. I realize that it is 90% my fault and I need to fix it. We've already discussed it with her and told her things are going to be different. For starters (in addition to disciplining) from now on, Nat will have to nap every day while Jules does - not for a long time, but she has to rest. Next, no more late nights. To date, her bed time has always been a case of "give them an inch..." NO MORE! End of Story. (someone email me next week and see how we're doing, - if we still are a family of four, or if one of us has jumped ship or gone to the looney bin ... Hey, and no placing bets on who that will be, either.)


3. Jaz has a skin problem. She gets red patches on her stomach, scaly dandruff, and puss filled bumps. Sometimes she is even a little stinky. After some trials and tribulations (2 rounds of antibiotics from the vet, various skin washing routines with medicated shampoo, adding fish oils to her diet and making all of her meals out of people food (like burger and rice)) we think she has a food allergy. After changing to homemade food and adding oils, it seemed to get a lot better. This week, we went back to Iams and just kept the added oils to see if it was the food or if she just needed the oils .... and its coming back. Now I'm researching food allergens and natural dog foods. Ugh. But other than the flaky, rashy, pussy, sometimes stinky skin, she really is a very nice and very smart dog. I am really starting to like her.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I new as soon as you started describing the rash etc that is was food allergies. I have been through all this with Boomer my full blooded Boxer. I have yet to find a food for him. My vet told me to start with proteins. He said most dogs are allergic to the protein source in foods. I have heard from other people though that it is the grains so who knows...good luck.