Monday, November 24, 2008

Life of the Party? or Party Pooper?

After the apprehension of the night before, I decided NOT to just drop Nat off at the door, but went inside. I knew the mom "gets" Nat and would be okay with that.

We got inside and all the little girls were in their bathing suits. The mom and dad were dressed in life-guard apparel with visors and goggles and the "life-guard" symbol pasted across their shirts. Before I even get my shoes off, Nat says, "mom, mom, you should see my friend's bathing suit!" Before I get Julsie's coat off, "mom, mom, you should see what's IN here!"

What was "in here" was a big (water-less) blow-up pool, beach balls, water noodles and all kinds of beach paraphernalia along with tons of little girls hopping in and out of the pool with new flip-flops and ribbons and kids getting nails painted. It was wonderful. I stayed for a while to see how Nat would do, but she barely even paid any attention to me! I did help paint some nails (not Nat's), but left soon after everyone was polished. Poor Julsie bawled to leave. She too was getting in on the fun!

When I returned to pick Nat up 1.5 hours later, she didn't even notice me when I came in (and if she did, didn't acknowledge me). I finally had to get her attention. "Mom, look at my ball! look at my bag!" "Those are so nice! You made out like a bandit! So, how'd it go? What did you do?" "We danced! We played, we played Freeze dance, we ate cupcakes and pizza!" "Pizza? and what kind of cupcakes?" "Pink! Pink sunglasses" "Pink cupcakes, of course! Oh my goodness, you love pizza and pink. Was it the best party ever?" "Yes, it was the best party."

So, she had a great time and survived her first "drop-off" party. What a big milestone =)

PS Special thanks to the party mom and dad. It was so special for the kids - a real hit

No comments: