Wednesday, November 19, 2008

For Love

John's latest cockamamie scheme... oh, sorry, I mean, idea....(besides traveling to mid-Ohio on the first day of buck by himself and sleeping in his truck while there until he bags the "big one.") ....
Now wait, I don't want this to sound like I am an unsupportive, wife who is trying to undermine and emasculate her husband... nothing could be further from the truth... 'Go lift those weights, eat that tuna, get that dangerous job, move us across the state, dig that pond, breed that (fill in the blank), kill that (fill in the blank)' ... I cleave, I submit, but a woman has to draw the line somewhere! I have found my line.

The other day, our conversation goes something like this:
"Remind me to tell you about Brinser's beetles."
"Ok, just tell me about the beetles now."
All excited he says, "ok!"
Apparently while at the archery shop the owner was looking at John's deer skull and mentioned that there are beetles that will clean the skull perfectly and will leave all that little detail in the nose in-tact. Then, soon after, John is talking to a co-worker, Brinser, who just happened to have recently ordered these beetles.
"He got 1000 of them for $90. You just throw the head in with them and they have it clean in 3 to 5 days. Isn't that amazing?" he says. "The best thing to do is to put them in an old freezer without a lid, you get them as larva and then they turn into beetles. You get the colony "primed" by adding some food in ahead of time, then they are ready to go. Brinser is going to keep them in a tub in his garage and keep them warm with a heat lamp for baby chicks."
And because I KNEW what was on his mind, I say, "Eeeewww. You are NOT doing that."
"WHAT?" he says, in his high-pitched 'amazed', voice. "I told everyone you'd totally say yes." "What? Yeah, eeeew. You are soo not doing that. What if they get out?"
Chuckling, he says, "I know, I told Brinser, don't fall asleep in your garage, you'll wake up without an arm."
"Sick!" I say, "and what do you do with them the other 11 months out the year."
"Oh yeah, you just raise them, they're like a full-time thing. You can even get paid to do other people's (animal) skulls!"

Yeah, despite the enticing business probabilities, I'm so not raising flesh eating beetles...... I'm still against the idea of having rabbits.

PS Just in case you don't know, I wouldn't trade him for any man in the world. =)

1 comment:

Hansen Family said...

Gross. I remember you telling me about that. Good luck Heather.