Thursday, July 9, 2009

Yes, I Was "That Lady"

You know, that "Lady" you get behind at the grocery store checkout that clogs up the works and makes you late to your important event?

After much preparation, I hit Weis Markets to use my $10 off $50 coupon. With both girls in tow, we maneuver our way through the store... again and again as I am not familiar with it's layout. We finally get everything on the list and go to the checkout. Then, it hits me. I don't have my regular wallet. From vacation, it's still with John's purse... I mean, "bail-out bag." I have another wallet with me, but I don't have my Weis card! I tell the cashier and she lets me use the store card. phew. Disaster averted. Or so I thought.

I hand her my $25 in coupons and as I go to pay, I grab a card from my wallet and swipe it. I wait. Huh. It says the card isn't valid! Oh no! I had accidentally swiped my AAA membership card! Oops! How silly of me.

I pick out a real credit card from my wallet. Now, my usual credit cards are in my "regular" wallet. In this wallet is my first and oldest card from '98. I haven't used it in a while because it gives no perks, but I keep it just because it's so old. Anyway, I take it out and it still has the sticker on it with the authorization phone number. Uh oh. I swipe it and IT doesn't work. Apparently I never did call to authorize my last version. By now, there are 2 other people in line behind me, clearly wishing they had picked another lane and presumably thinking that I am some penniless person with credit problems and some sordid story - likely including domestic violence and illegitimate children.

"I have my debit card number memorized. Can I give that to you?" By now, a customer service person was there. "No, sorry, we're not allowed to do that." I explain where my real card is and she says, "well, we could hold your order here for you and you could run home, get your card and come back." "Hmmm. Ok."

Just then, the lady behind me offers to PAY for me and I could just send her a check. (How nice was that... really nice or she had a really hot date waiting for her.) "That's ok," I said. I am ready to pack up and it hits me once she said "check"; "Can I use a check?" "Yes!" says the cashier. "Personal checks? You can take a personal check?" "Yes," she says. "Oh thank goodness, I have my checks."

So, I write out a check, relieved this is all over. "Can you swipe your driver's license?" OH NO! "I don't have my license. It's in my real wallet.... I know the number though." She tries to type in my number, but it just won't work. Just then, a manager-type man comes up and says, "let me take her over here." "Well, she's paying with a check now and..." "I know," says the manager, "but you should have been off 10 minutes ago." So, like a child going to the principal's office, I follow the man. I get to his station and hold my head in my hands. I can't believe this. I explain to him that I don't have my license and that I know the number, but it wouldn't work.

Luckily, he put me out of my misery. He remembered to type in the "PA" before my DL#, unlike the poor cashier - who I had probably stressed so much that she forgot. Finally, it went through. I apologized profusely and was on my way.

I spent $56.00, saved $30 and paid $26. After all that... I ask myself, was it really worth it.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Oh no! I kinda know how you feel. I waited in a long line at a Dollar Tree down here in Northern VA only to get to the front of the line and be told that they don't accept credit cards other than Visa even though the credit card stickers on the front door listed all the other types too. Of course, if I hadn't used my cash at the used book store before I went to the dollar store, I would have been okay, but no...life doesn't work like that. LOL. I had to walk away without purchasing anything that day. :-D
That's really great that you were able to purchase your groceries despite everything!