Friday, July 3, 2009

Scary, Wary

Scary:
On coming into the hotel via a side door after dinner, John noticed a small frog on the glass. He, of course, loving frogs and being an animal guy, pointed them out to the girls who were less than thrilled. Then he pointed out another and another! By now, Nat was sooo scared, which made Julsie start to cry too. Ugh. Daddy continued to stand outside the door, attempting to convince the girls that the frogs were great. They weren't buyin' it. By now, the thought of going past/under those frogs to get inside completely terrified Nat. We had to force her and we all ran inside together. Once inside, she just let out all her fear and cried and jumped and screamed.... did I mention it was around 10 pm?
She was supposed to sleep with mommy that night, but Jules was now super tired and cranky and just had to cuddle with mama until she fell asleep. This left Natty in daddy's bed.

"Daddy, I don't want to sleep with you."
"You don't? Why?" (they had been fighting to sleep w/ daddy all week)
"You're too scary."
"I'm too scary?"
"Yeah."
"Why? how did I scare you today?"
"Your toes." (After coming in from the frog incident, he had sneakily tickled her with his toes, pretending he was a frog.)
"My toes? And what else?"
"The frogs."
"The frogs?.... Yes and what else?" ... silence.... "what did I put on you today at the store?"
"A snake." (You see, earlier in the day, while at the check-out, he slipped a fake plastic snake on her and she screamed bloody murder right in the store. I, of course, was not nearby or that would not have happened. )
"Well Nat, you make a pretty good case, I guess I do scare you a lot."
____________________________________________

Wary:
While enjoying a perfect evening on the patio of a Mexican restaurant, commenting on the lack of flying bugs, perfect temperature and joy of eating outside (when you aren't the one hauling everything out and back in), I see ... well, it was either a big roach or a giant beetle. Yuck! I didn't mention it because I didn't want anyone to flip. I really wanted my cheesy, spicy enchilada, and the bug was headed in the other direction.

About 10 minutes later, I see John staring (uncharacteristic of him), at the next table. They notice it too and look back at him. He says something and I see her jump up and sit in a chair on the other side of the table. Apparently, he had noticed the bug near her foot... and told her.

Luckily we stayed and I got my enchilada, but Nat spent the entire meal crouched on a chair on the other side of the table just to be safe.
Luckily??? Well, maybe not so luckily. I loved the food, but the waitress accidentally spilled an entire 20 oz glass of ice water on our table. Very unluckily, we were sitting at the only outdoor table topped completely with grating. (The others had a plexi-glass top.) The freezing water drenched my jeans from knee down and got John too. The waitress had no idea. She just was worried about wiping up the table and kept asking if our food had gotten wet. It was funny and neither of us were upset enough about it to tell her. I mean really, what could she do? We just had to drip dry. Too funny. - Didn't ruin our night!

No comments: