Sunday, March 1, 2009

Speaking of the Gym

Its a long story and you don't want to hear it, but I started going to the gym. I am know I am not nearly as fit and as healthy as I need to be, both for my physical and mental well-being.

Hey, I'm 30, have had 2 kids, and frankly, am disappointed in my lack of discipline. It is only going to get harder and harder for me to become fit as I get older and I know I need to make it a habit now.

We got a membership at Gold's for me right after I had Jules. Although we have a fitness room across the street, we thought Gold's would be best because they provide babysitting services. In the beginning, I would take the girls, but Nat really had a hard time with it and I was disgusted by the dirty conditions and lack of enthusiasm of the workers. A new Gold's opened and it was a lot better. My friend worked in the nursery and although it was farther away, it worked. I ended up quitting after some stupid circumstance that flipped me out.

Anyway, I finally had enough. I decided to start going again. I didn't even tell John. I had been to the gym 3 or 4 times before he knew it. You see, it took a lot of reckoning with myself and I've concluded that to be a good mom, I need to do this.
-One hour at the gym nursery will not irreparably harm my children.
-I am better able to serve them (for longer) if I am healthy
-Taking care of myself is a good example for them
-Being confident and happy with my discipline and body is only a good thing

Sometimes I think that there is a fine line between being a devoted mother and completely losing yourself in your kids. All the best mothers I know do SOMETHING they enjoy. Whether it be cooking, spinning, quilting, volunteering, reading, knitting, they do something they either enjoy, makes them feel useful, or both.

Why am I writing this? Two reasons.
1. In case anyone else is feeling the same way I was
2. I need your help! Please check in on me. Make comments on the blog or email me. Ask me if I'm being consistent. Be my accountability partners! I figure if I have you all to answer to, I'll be less likely to quit =) If you'd like, I'll be your buddy too. We can keep each other honest!

3 comments:

Hansen Family said...

Oh you so crack me up!!! What happened at the day care? Did you tell me and I forgot? I am with you on being better as a mom and getting in shape:)

Jendi said...

I so agree that exercise is important! I alternate between my Pilates and my jump rope. It's only about 10 minutes a day but it makes me feel better, and not so guilty.

Yes mothers need to do something they enjoy - like blogging. :)

http://jendisjournal.com

Cheryl said...

I think I'm too lazy to motivate anyone! good luck girl! I know u will stick to it.