Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Powder Incident

Every family has one.... and I don't mean a "black sheep." Every family has a baby powder incident. Mine came just last week. I was purging the girls' dressers and closets of clothes that are out-of-season or too small. Because the girls were coloring at the kitchen table, I set up shop there as well. At some point in my labeling and packaging 10 garbage bags, the girls finished coloring and started playing in their room. As I would haul the garbage bags back to my bedroom I'd check on the two of them. No one was yelling, hanging from the ceiling, climbing on the bookcase. No one was even jumping on the bed. Everything was peaceful and quiet. Too quiet.
As I completed my work, I headed into their room. Nat had pulled the changing pad off the dresser and onto the floor. The lid to the blocks and the porcelain duck were also on the floor. Now, the duck was a flower arrangement piece and has a hole where I keep the diaper changing supplies. I saw Nat shaking her hand as I drew near. Oh no. She's shaking baby powder into the lid for the blocks. "No!" I shout, "Don't do that!" I took the powder from her and rushed it to the bathroom. In my preliminary scan, I could see there was a little powder on a pair of Julsie's jeans and on her face, but not too much anywhere else. "Wow, that could have been bad."
By now, Jules had followed me to the bathroom and Nat is on her way too. But Nat looks nothing like she did 10 seconds earlier. She is now covered in powder. Apparently she had taken that window of opportunity to dump the entire lid over her head. .... Bath time.

No comments: