Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Backlog of Dramatic Scenes

Nat has become quite the drama queen/dancer/rock star lately. Here is some of our recent dialogue (approximate):

I. (After turning her musical movie, to which she had been dancing earlier, off ) "I didn't even bow yet."

II. ( Julsie is in the tub and I am in the bathroom with her.)
"Pretend this (the bathroom) is your house."
"Okay"
(she leaves, shutting the door. After a while, she knocks)
"Who is it?"
"It's Natalie"
(I open the door to find she has decked herself out with a pair of sunglasses, necklace and purse)
"Oh Natalie, it's so good to see you again." (we hug in greeting)
"Its been a long while" she says.
"Yes, we're so glad to have you here."
"Yes, I just came to ... to chill out."
"Oh, great, well, come on in and ... chill. (We sit down. I'm on the floor. She is on the toilet. Pointing to Jules, I say)
"You know my baby, Julia, right?"
"Noooo, we've never met."
"Oh, I'm sorry, this is my baby, Julia. Julia, this is Natalie."
"Yes, Natalie, Natalie... Rockstar"
"Oh!"
"Yes, I'm..., I'm from Howdy, Howdy Texas. I love Texas. I'm a cow... cow... cow goil (girl).

III. (Relayed from my friend Cheryl, as our daughters were playing veterinarian together.)
Ky, the vet, says, "what is wrong with your puppy?"
(putting on her best dramatic face, with raised eyebrows and lowered eye lids, Nat rubs her fingertips down her own throat.) "Well, you see. My dog, .... my dog is having trouble. He..., he can't get his ruffs out. He's having a problem with his throat and he can't get his ruffs out.
(Ky goes on to prescribe a special dog bone to cure this issue with the ruffs.)

IV. As is always the case, kids know more than we give them credit for:
I say, "On Tuesday, we are going to go see a man,.... well, you know how daddy is like the boss of our family? Well this man wants to be the boss of our country. That is called the President. He wants to be the president of our country. "
"You mean, like Obama?"
"Yeah, like Obama, but the other guy."

V. Nat is in bed, I'm rocking Jules.
"Mom, sing the song about the bear and dreams."
Racking my brain, "I don't know that song honey. Why don't you sing it for me?"
In her falsetto, she sings about 4 or 5 lines of a made-up song. I have a hard time putting it all together, but it was something like this:
"Oh little bear, come to me. Come to me and dreams come true. There is glitter everywhere....." and on.
"That one, sing that one mom."
"I didn't quite get it, can you sing it again for me?"
She tries to sing it again, but has trouble remembering it herself. I sing a few words, including bear and dream and it seems to pass muster. She sings another song. It begins like this:
"And the monkey kisses the frog ..." It goes on to include words like dreams and prince or princess. It even speaks of a turtle in a glittery hole. All the while, she is "conducting" with her hands while singing.
"Sing mom." I stand up now, snuzzling and "slow dancing" with Jules as I sing. I now understand the kind-of thing she is looking for and make up a high-pitched nonsense "song" made up of all those "key words" strung together (like dream, glitter, various animals, wish, princess, etc.) From her bed, she is still directing:
"No, mom, you have to do this (demonstrating a slow, circular "conducting" motion) with your hand."

VI. We are eating lunch yesterday. Jazzy is hounding Jules for food.
"Did Jazzy eat today? I think she didn't eat today."
"No honey, she ate."
"Jazzy! get away."
A few minutes later, Nat is in the closet. John and I just look at each other but say nothing, pretending we aren't aware. Nat gets a scoop of dog food.
"Come Jazzy" (going towards Jazzy's bowl). "Sit. Good goil." tinkle tinkle of the food hitting the dish. Nat comes out of the kitchen and sees dad and I looking at her.
"I gave Jaz some food."
"Ok dog whisperer," says dad.
"I'm not dog whisperer. I'm Natalie. I'm just trying to teach Jasmine. I'm just trying to teach her to sit and not to jump on people and not to lick people. So I'm just trying to teach her."

3 comments:

[AnnieR] said...

Confession: I usually don't think other kids are as funny as my own... but I've just made an exception for Natalie. She is SO FUNNY.

Nate and Jen Poulson said...

She is so funny. And I love that she couldn't remember her own words.

Cheryl said...

way to capture all these moments. I have just got to get better at jotting this stuff down. anyway, she continues to make us laugh and will just love reading this stuff when she's older.