Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My "Beautiful" Girl

Nat has a very sweet personality, but like her parents, she has funny little quirks. One of hers is that she can be sooo particular at times. I think she is genetically predisposed for that as John and I can both be that way sometimes (especially when we were younger, before we mellowed out.)

Example 1: Here's a pic of her after I told her I was going to try her hair a different way. She fought me the entire time, "But it's not beautiful. I don't want 2 barrettes, it won't be beautiful." Finally I held her up to the mirror. I think the wry smile on her face is because she realized she DID look pretty and was being completely ridiculous.

Example 2: We've gotten in arguments because I want to go somewhere or do something and she has to take 10 minutes to make sure whatever items she has are properly arranged. And don't try to help her or move things along, it just makes it worse. (That can be tough too, with a little sis who wants to touch everything big sis does.) The other day I was in their bedroom cleaning and she took a basket of toys to the living room. Here is what she did with them. She didn't play with them, she just laid them out in her own little orderly fashion. "Mom, come see what I did."

Example 3: Last week, instead of just following her friend to the middle of the gym, like I had suggested, Nat came back to find me because she wasn't sure how to get to the middle of the big gym. Should she walk over the blue mat, green mat or red mat, on the balance beam or on the carpet in order to get out to the other kids and teachers. This week they did a hopscotch maneuver and the teacher had to let another girl go ahead of Nat because she was so careful to jump exactly in the center of each square that it was taking forever. I also caught her finishing a jump, stopping to examine the mat she landed on, and replacing it so it was perfectly in-line with the apparatus they jumped from.

Example 4: She is already keenly aware of what she wears. For gymnastics, I finally convinced her to wear her little pink leotard but she refuses to take her pants off for class.
Getting ready for church this week was a nightmare. She decided the skirt I picked out was "not beautiful." I convinced her that the sweater to match WAS beautiful and she agreed to try it on. She just couldn't get past the plain tights, "but there is nothing beautiful on them." I finally gave in and told her to just pick SOMETHING out so we wouldn't be late. She looked in her closet and said, (you guessed it) "There's nothing beautiful in there." We ended up in the first outfit sans tights completely. Heavens!!!! We had the same issue with the hair. "But I don't like a pony tail. It's not beautiful." In the end we amazingly did make it to church (albeit during the first hymn.) humpf.

But like I said, how can I blame her? She gets it honestly. Just pray for patience! =)

No comments: