Thursday, October 9, 2008

Daddy's Little Hunter

So, we're leaving preschool on Tuesday and I see a squirrel. "Hey Nat, there's a squirrel," I say in my normal voice. "Mom, no. You've got to be quiet," she whispers as she tip-toes toward the squirrel. Following orders, I whisper in reply, "Oh, okay."

We tip toe around following the squirrel which stays at least 15 feet ahead. "Ok, let's go," I say. "But mom, I wanted to follow that squirrel."


Then my mind goes back to the last month or so that John has been talking to Nat

about squirrel hunting - would she like to go with him. Thinking I'd know the answer, I say, "Nat, would you like to go hunt..." "Yeah" she quickly interjects. You could tell that's what she had on her mind. almost simultaneously I add "and shoot a squirrel like that with daddy?"

"Yeah" she says, "I think we should come here and shoot that one... because he
shouldn't have done that."

I told John, "I don't know what she had made up in her mind that that squirrel did to deserve being shot, but...."

John laughs, "Don't cross her!"



No comments: