Monday, July 28, 2008

I don't know WHAT to title this

For a week or two, I've been thinking about writing a post about my latest culinary exploits; about all of the wonderful things I have been, well, mostly baking. The title was going to be something like "I really CAN cook" or "I'm on a 'Roll" or something that rhymes. After Saturday night, that all changed. I made snickerdoodles.... and ate them for dinner. No, not two. Try 20!!! The recipe was to make 40 cookies, I can account for 18 of them and Julsie may have had another couple. That makes 20 cookies!!! Even if it didn't make exactly 40 cookies, it is clear I ate about 1/2 the batch. I couldn't help but think I needed to change the tone and title of the post to "Confessions of a Closet Carboholic." Yes, my stomach was uncomfortably full and bloated.

Anyway, it all started with John thawing out a bunch of purees I had in the freezer. I prepared them last fall when my MIL, Mare, bought me the Jessica Seinfeld book, Deceptively Delicious. I couldn't possibly let them go to waste, so I started making recipes from that book. Additionally, I got 7 lbs of blueberries and after eating about 2 lbs the first night, I started NEEDING to make some baked goods requiring them. By then, I was in a downward carb spiral... making more and needing more and making more and... well, you get the picture.

In just over a month, I've made 2 batches of chocolate chip cookies, 1 batch of snickerdoodles, 1 batch of oatmeal raisin (I tried freezing these to slow my onslaught, but quickly found out they are good frozen), 1 batch of blueberry muffins, 3 batches of blueberry cheesecake muffins (with spinach and squash), 1 batch of lemon raspberry muffins (with squash and rasp), corn muffins, hmm. Is that all?

I also just got done making raspberry and blackberry freezer jam. I picked the raspberries fresh this year from a ravine behind our apartment and I picked the blackberries from the same spot last year.

On the good side, I've been cooking squash like its going out of style.... or like its going out of sale at Giant! Of course, I sprinkle cheese on it and dip it in sour cream with Hidden Valley Ranch mixed in. hahaha.

No comments: