Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Adventure to 141

Yesterday 6 other mommy's and I ventured to Gifford Pinchot State Park with 13 of our children in tow. Average age of these kids? --- THREE!

Our initial plan was just moms and kids... over night... in tents. Most husbands thought we were just crazy (I mean, who would start a fire and pitch a tent?) As it turned out, only about 4 of us moms were on board for all that. But we were determined to do it and to prove everyone wrong..... that is until John heard of the plans.

Upon realizing I was serious about this camping business, "trooper daddy" came out and in no uncertain terms, forbid me to go, highlighting the stars of the show we'd just finished watching - America's Most Wanted. (I probably could have picked a better time to bring it up.)

Once I emailed everyone that I couldn't stay over and why, all of the rest of the husbands said, "See? Its not just me! Finally, someone with a little sense." And all the mom's gently pulled back on our spoiled rotten teenager talk - the "Oh yes I am!"-s.

Our solution? We WERE going camping! (Oh yes we were-er!) ... We just wouldn't actually sleep there. ... I know, you're thinking, "huh?" "lame-o!" "that's not camping."


But it WAS camping! We swam in a lake, we made our own fire, we set up a tent, we cooked foil-dinners and hot dogs and smarshmallows, we made S'mores, collected plants and creatures in jars, showered and pee'd in public facilities (not at the same time.) And we did it ALL with little to no crying, no fighting, no broken bones, no splinters, no burns, no poison ivy (that I know of yet), no hot-dog-stick-pokes-to-the-eyes, I don't even think there was a knee scrape. So if you didn't know it already, I'll clear it up...

we're a bunch of super-moms who will face votes of 'No Confidence' from those around us, confront meal plans that are destined to be the antithesis of our current diet, battle bugs and sand, dirt and sun just to give our kids an adventure to remember.... and I know they will.

No comments: