Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Black Lab, Black-top

I've been avoiding this post....

Jazzy got hit by a car. I know. I know. Let the criticism roll. "What" "How could you!" "Didn't your other..."
I know!

I am telling you. We are NOT terrible owners! I swear.


Instead of leaving Jazzy in Harrisburg with friends, or at home with Nana and Pop-pop, we took her with us to the SRU show. She hung out in the large, capped bed of our truck with her fluffy bed. During the break between pre-judging and the night show, John parked at the end of a long empty parking lot, beside a pond. He took out a ball and threw it for her to run her a little. (I stayed in the truck, out of the damp weather, and did Sudoku).


I heard a short, high-pitched noise. I thought it was Jaz and John at the back of the truck. When I didn't hear any corresponding opening of the tailgate, I looked up. Jazzy was sitting alone by the pond and John was about 20 yards ahead of her. A silver car pulled up to John and stopped to talk to him. ... I thought maybe John knew the person but John looked up at me, he gave me a "look." I knew something was wrong. I put my head down, trying to avoid the situation - whatever it was - and continued Sudoku.


When John and Jazzy came to the truck he informed me she had been hit by that silver car. The short high-pitched noise I had heard was the car's brakes. Ugh. John had checked the road, hadn't seen any cars, commanded Jaz to sit, and crossed into the parking lot to a garbage can about 15 ft away from her. In that time, the car had come down the lot and Jaz stepped right out in from of it.


We immediately brought her into the cap, checked her out and headed to the store. John was going to go to the grocery store, but I said "NO!! Pull into Rite Aid... I have a gift card." We got saline wash, gauze, tape, and neosporin.... $20 worth of stuff and we paid $0.00 out of pocket! Impressive, I know!

Ok, so back to Jaz. She was still able to walk around well, but was shaken. Her leg was scraped up on the right side, but her left side really suffered some damage. There was a clean, scalpel-like cut from her "ankle" to her "knee." Luckily no muscle or tendon was damaged and there wasn't much blood. It was just her skin..... but it totally looked like it looks when you are skinning deer. Gross. We could have put our fingers inside her skin and wrapped them around her whole internal leg.

Anyway... John took her to the vet when he got back home and they gave her stitches. The vet complimented our emergency wound care and Jaz is doing great. Yesterday John and I removed her stitches without incident.

I have been dreading this confession, but there it is.

2 comments:

Jendi said...

I'm glad to hear that she's okay! I was worried that you were going to say she died.

Too bad vets don't give gift cards too.

http://jendisjournal.com

[AnnieR] said...

Oh no! I'm so glad that she's ok. Poor thing...