Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bailey's Story - The Main Event

So, here's how it all went down. By noon, I was hooked up to the monitors, done with paper work and had the IV port stuck in my stinkin' wrist. About that time, my Dr. came in to say "hi" and break my water. I was expecting something right away. I think we all were. With my other pregnancies, I was on pitocin so I felt contractions almost immediately. This time there was nothing. I remember looking at the clock at 2:00 pm and saying, “well, this is officially the longest labor I’ve ever had.” Still, I was feeling good at that time and only had some minor discomfort from time to time.

Quickly, that all changed. When hearing the sound of John and the nurse talking made me irritated, I knew I needed to sit down. I worked through a couple decent contractions where I had relief in between. Then that quickly changed. John said he knew it was serious when I requested a wet paper towel for my forehead. It was “on.” At one point my arms and legs even went numb. Then the nurse reminded me to actually BREATHE. =)

Shortly after, the doctor entered the room. John said he looked like Kramer, practically sliding in. He immediately put his gloves on and said, “okay, on the next one, we’re going to push!” At some point I completely straightened out my arms and legs and just about pushed John and the nurse over. I heard her say “she’s strong!” and I remember thinking, “what did I just grab? Oh, thank goodness, it’s too hard to be her chest. =)” Apparently, the baby was almost out and I said, “I can’t.” Someone said, “You have to” and I thought, “you’re right, the only relief will be when I get this kid out.” Next thing you know, she came out in one push. As requested, the doctor held her bum up to John who said, “number 3.” I thought, “I think that means a girl. Does that mean a girl?” It meant a girl. She officially arrived at 2:39 pm weighing 6 lbs, 3 oz. and measuring 18 inches long. The doctor figures actual labor was about a half hour. (1/2 hour of #10 level of pain mind you.)




I wasn’t aware, but Bailey quickly turned purple. I DID notice that the nurses with the baby were quiet and then I heard someone say the alarm was going off. We later speculated that such a fast and furious labor probably shocked her little system. There really was very little warning for her. She was in one minute and out the next. Bailey had to be “ambu-ed” and given chest compressions. After she was improving in color, John felt he could let me know what was going on, but I was very calm. I knew everything would be just fine. They held her up so I could see her and I immediately saw Jules. However, instead of bringing her to me, they took her over to the nursery to give her O2 and make sure she was stable. (John accompanied her.) The nurses were very worried that she hadn’t cried, but knowing my other two, I again, was not worried. Very quickly everyone was gone from the room and I was hanging out there alone and freezing. Luckily a nurse came back and gave me one of those blankets from the warmer. mmmm. That and the ice pack are my 2 favorite things in L&D.

Finally, they brought Bailey back to me even before they bathed her because she was rooting so hard and had already found her thumb. Her blood sugar had been really low, but she latched on right away and once she ate, her sugar popped right back up. One weirdo flippy nurse was such a Negative Nancy, but luckily Tob and I are old hats at this and didn’t let her worry us. We knew everything would be just fine. After delivery, I got up, brushed my teeth, replaced my missing hair tie and we called the family.

No comments: