Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bailey's Story - The End Credits or "Who's Who"

So, I had a plan, a simple plan, I thought - to let my girls see the baby first and then they would introduce the baby to their grandparents. I wanted them to feel that it was THEIR baby too and I wanted them to feel important. Unfortunately, things did not go as I had wished. The baby was in the nursery when the girls arrived and they saw her with just their daddy. (I was now hooked up to an IV to help the uterus contract.) Then, while the baby was still in the nursery, my in-laws stopped in and saw her, so the girls did not have the opportunity to introduce them at all. I was disappointed. Both Nat and Jules were also a little stand-offish with me as well. I think all the people and the hospital bed flipped them out a bit. Let’s just say, it was not the peaceful family bonding time that it was when we introduced Natalie to Julia. They were quickly ready to go back to Nana’s for movies and Cheetos. Oh well.
Anyway, apparently, when Jules saw baby she said, “him a noisy seeper.” =) We decided Bailey has my unfortunate thumbs and long fingers, but also got our family’s nice pointy lips. Oh, and her feet were pretty purple for quite a few hours.
Bailey continued to improve, regardless of Negative Nancy’s warnings. She and her daddy slept well during the night. I, however, did not. My bed broke and would not lay flat. I called the nurse’s station, but they were super busy with “babies flying everywhere” all night. So for the first 4 hours of the night, I was curled up on the lower 3.5 ft of the bed like a cat. Finally someone came in randomly to check on me and I had them fix the bed. That crinkled/crimped sleeping situation turned out to be the best rest I got all night. From 2 am on, I had someone coming in, poking me, asking me questions, checking the baby, etc. every few minutes, I swear. By the time the phlebotomist came in at 7am, turning on all the lights and poking my veins, I had had it. Right then I decided I would go home that day, if possible. I could not spend another night like that. Luckily, they agreed to let me go and I left about 30 hours after I got there. We could have left earlier, but we didn’t have a name =) Although this was the first hospital that would have LET us go, John (rightly) insisted we stay until we had a name. Otherwise, she would probably have been "Baby Girl O'Day" forever.

Other items of note:
-The older ladies running the café downstairs LOVED John, made him fresh coffee, got him a paper, etc.
-Julsie ran to her Pop-pop when he arrived, yelling “My have a new dister.”
-We found out later that the reason we were supposed to come in on Thursday evening was because one of the girls that set John and I up on our blind date was working in L&D Thursday evening and wanted to be our delivery nurse. She was upset that signals were crossed and we were then told to come in during the day, but we all agreed that it worked out for the best in the end since they were swamped that evening. She told all the nurses to try to persuade us into naming the baby after her and her cousin (the other girl that set us up.)
-Natalie had wanted to call a girl "Sara." She did NOT like the name Bailey and even told her Sunday school teacher (3 days after Bailey arrived) that her name was Sara. =)

After we got home and got our girls all back together, things were much better for me. The older two really took to Bailey and were so excited to hold her. They love it when she opens her eyes and love to hold her. Natalie says, "how's my cutie pie." She picks out Bailey's outfits, brings me diapers and wipes and is just a great helper. Julia says, "Bailey Lyn" in just the cutest voice ever and she calls her "him," i.e. "him's so cute" or "did him poop?" I just love my little trio. =)

2 comments:

spanki said...

I just wrote a really long comment, but I had to create a stinkin google accnt and it erased. So basically this was too sweet, made me cry, love you guys!

Amy Marie said...

Ahh you have the loveliest family! Glad you are all home and recovering! If you actually ever recover after having a baby that is!