Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Be Careful Batman! Robin is Really a Joker

Where I work (John says "worked") is a total joke. I like getting cash and feeling like I am financially contributing to this family, easing financial burdens, but this is ridiculous. For example, despite being shift leader, being HUGGED by one customer and being told I was the best waitress ever, I was tipped an avg of 10% that night. Note to restaurant goers: If you have the "best waitress ever" or want to hug her, it is not appropriate to tip her 10%.... ever. Adding insult to injury, I had to pay the bartender and buser $15.00 of my tips (almost 1/3 of what I made that night). Worse yet, I was forced to claim that I made $52.00 for tax purposes when I really only made $37.00. Talk about utter disappointment. I was almost sick.

About 10 days later, its a Saturday night and I'm shift leader again. Again I think I should be able to make some decent money but realize I only have 2 really usable tables (the other 2 have bar stool chairs which never get sat.) Not only that, but this night (and the prior 3 I worked) I had to almost beg for tables even with a line out the door. I to tell them I had clean a table (one that I had cleaned myself despite knowing I would have to pay the bussers for doing it anyway.) I was frustrated and bored and pretty much just ran other people's food all night. Finally, it's nearing close and I should be getting sat more tables because everyone else is getting sent home but I'm not. Oh well, right? Then, I am bussing my tables and get caught up with a big party I had. I just left some glasses and a couple baskets on an unused table. I ask the busser to come up and help me clear them... but he never did. Five minutes later, the boisterous, rude and short (can we say "Napoleon Complex") manager comes up and gives me a hard time about the glasses (not really talking TO me, just talking to the crowd of staff hanging around). I assure him I'll take care of them, but another waiter just picks them up and takes them to the dish room. I go to the computer and the manager comes out of nowhere, and says, "did you hear that clanging back there?" I stutter, "huh? what? No?" "That was your **** and now they're all broken." ya-da ya-da (Apparently the kid who took them back dropped them.) He continues to loudly rant and rave as he walks away from me and I hear him yelling something about "if it says Made in China on your check." By now, he's yelling in a completely different room.

You've got to be kidding me, right? He's a manager? It seriously took all that was in me not to just walk out the door. In the following week, I have run my options through my head a million times and have had at least 3 nightmares about the whole thing. I know what I would do if this was a "real" job... but if this was a "real" job would someone so completely inept at dealing with people be in such a position?

Seriously. I know I'm a great waitress and a hard worker. I'm not a teeny bopper who needs to be scared into working, ... or who doesn't know any better. Maybe they like the teeny-boppers who practically make out in the bus stand, text message the entire time they are "working," peel wheel and shout profanities in the parking lot ... but I digress.

1 comment:

Hansen Family said...

Heather you crack me up:) Do they know how old you are? Keep up the hard work and if it does not feel right then do what is best for your family. You are great:)